Friday, September 26, 2008

Things They are a Changin'

So when I was in Third Grade (the 50s, I know, a LONG time ago) I was reading Nancy Drew and playing tag and in my most creative endeavors making up musicals and plays with the neighbor kids and charging a nickel for attendance at our front porch. Sometimes we played school, I was the teacher of course. And I had a playhouse in the backyard that we played, what else-house! Ah those were the days.

Spin ahead to the 80s when my children were in Third Grade. Natalie was playing Barbies, Josh was in to GI Joe. Maybe we had Pac Man on an Atari, but that was probably the only game. I'm sure they rode bikes around the neighborhood and played on our fort in the backyard. Ah, those were the days.

Let's keep going forward, 2008. What are Third Graders doing today? Watching movies like Children of the Corn, playing video games that include tanks and guns. They (boys mostly) know the names/number of such things, like MP3 machine gun, K4523, ammo-shell-launcher with an extra booster (for anyone who knows, I'm sure you know I made those names up) They are doing things YEARS ahead of where I was at this age and even where my kids were. Which brings me to a story I was listening to during Writer's Workshop:

The beginning of the story goes something like this: Three boys were going on a plane to France. The first boy sat in the regular section, the other two boys sat in the Hooters section. When they got to France they went to Hooters. It was the biggest and best restaurant in the world. (I bet it was!) Now all the while the student is reading this story in a small group, the kids are chuckling every time Hooters is mentioned. When the author finishes, the conversation goes like this -

Teacher: I notice you mention Hooters a lot. (I only gave you the BEGINNING of the story.) Why did you use Hooters and not McDonalds. Have you been to Hooters?

Author: I don't know. Yes, I've been there.

Teacher: I'm wondering if the story would be the same if you put McDonalds or Wendys or Chilis in it?

Author: Yes

Teacher: I'm also curious as to why everyone was laughing when Hooters was mentioned because I don't think they would laugh if you had said Wendys.

Female Listener: Well, it's because there are hot chicks at Hooters.

Male Listener: It's probably not appropriate for school.

Author: I think I'll change it to Burger King.

Teacher: Wise choice.

See...Things, They are a Changin'

If you would like to see a photo of my class and myself we are currently on the Mark Twain web page.

Three points for you if you find the Hooter author!

No comments:

Post a Comment