Thursday, January 1, 2009

200920092009200920092009

I love a new year; I'm not so much into the New Year's Eve celebration, as I am a morning person. So when I awaken in a new year, I feel energized because there are possibilities and truly they are endless and no one knows what is to come. There is energy in that.

Every year I make goals or carry goals forward that are of essence to my being for a healthy life. My goals are reasonable and attainable, because I want them to be achievable. I think everyone should have goals, every day, every year.

This morning I listened to Parker Palmer on NPR. I had never heard of him before, but he had so much to say that resonated with me in a way that I think I will carry.

Two important notes I took from his conversation:

1) As to the economy: In some small way didn't we all know that this was coming? How could we not; the rising costs, the rich getting richer. And he addressed two factors: fear and greed. The whistleblowers didn't blow because of fear and those in charge didn't stop because of greed.

There is a message - we need to do what is right and basically take only what we need. The wants can wait and in the end are they really necessary for a rich and full life?

2) The other issue he commented on was he had suffered a psychological depression in midlife and he found it was life changing because it grounded him, rooted him. And isn't that what reaching bottom is? There is no where to go but up.

The bottom is an opportunity to say OK, how do I pick myself up? What tools do I need? What is of essence in my life?

It's cleansing, like moving: what is important to take with me?

It's starting over; it's get it together now or there may not be another chance.

I've always liked the word rewind, but now I'm hearing reset and that's much more appropriate.

So today, open your front door, let 2009 in and hit reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment