Friday, June 26, 2009

Peace Out Brother and Power to the People

My sister has been in Maquoketa since Saturday and I've spent some time in Maquoketa this last week (the reason for my blog neglect, but this will more than make up for it).

One evening we (my brother, sister and I) spent the entire evening reminiscing our childhoods. We really had three separate childhoods in three separate generations because of our age differences. It was fun to piece the puzzle of our lives from each perspective and time frame.

Each day that I've been there we've visited my mom in the nursing home and tried to touch base with other aunts.

Here's my sister with our Aunt Betty. She took us to lunch in Andrew. She is 79 or 80 and ever so active. She is writing her second book for the Clinton Engines Factory. (For its museum and the Historical Society). She tutors her great grandchildren (she's a former kindergarten teacher) and she travels with family and friends. She is our role model for aging.



Then we went to visit our Great Aunt Mildred. She is 95! And her mind is fantastic! We want those genes! She has three daughters, nine grandchildren and 16 or more great grandchildren and she could tell us their approximate ages and exactly where they were in life right now. It is so fun to see her.



And then on Thursday evening I was in Maquoketa again and staying overnight and we girls (my sister and sister in law and I) decided to have a Girls Night Out because my brother was playing golf. So Beth and I left it up to Mary to decide where we should party. She suggested a small pizza place in Sabula, Iowa called Bombfire Pizzeria.



The owner, chef, CEO had to be my age, from my era. The only difference (I'd like to think) between himself and myself is that fact that my brain cells are not fried from prior drug usage. Here we are, the three of us ready to eat, drink and be merry!




The menus were on record albums.




I had this album! We pulled out the insert with the song lyrics and I remember the song "When You Leave Me Now" was from 1976. I was pregnant with Josh. Beth thought I was an idiot taking all the photos for my blog, so I decided to have her participate as a part of the idiocy.



The place was not air conditioned, but being not far from the river, it really was OK. It was decorated with lots of memorabilia from the 50s -80s. It was quite quaint. We didn't go to the back where the wood fire grill oven is located, but truly the pizza was wonderful. The Chef/CEO/ Former Hippie makes organic bread and crusts and uses the freshest ingredients he can find. I love that effort!


After our conversation and food and drink we strolled practically the whole town in twenty minutes (and that was at a leisurely pace). The view was great...



The homes quite quaint...



And the shad flies, while annoying to the residents, were very intriguing to my sister, who has forgotten about the joys of life near the Mississippi...



But the piece de resistance was when we left and we saw the Bombfire Pizzeria van. I don't know if it is for deliveries or camping or just a hold on the past, but it was bringing back memories of a time I am proud to say I was part of. I loved that era and it's nice to know I can go back for an hour or two if I just travel to Sabula.

No comments:

Post a Comment