Here's the important thought.
If you enjoy podcast listening and education you will LOVE Speaking of Fatith's podcast for this week. Krista Tippett interviewed Mike Rose, who is a professor @ UCLA. He talks about what standardized testing does and does NOT tell us about intelligence.
Oh, it was so good. I read his book, Lives on the Boundary, years ago and am so intrigued to read his more current works.



There has to be educational reform and I wish the government would contact people like Mike Rose to get us on the right track. (Or they could contact me also!)
My second thought for the day is not as profound, it is this: I love the library!
I finished reading Alice Sebold's book and really enjoyed it, not so much the content, but her style of writing. The substance, the ability to place words together in ways that they not only communicated, but required thought. Challenging in a way that it wasn't work, but a joy.
So I wanted another book, something equally as rewarding, so I went to the library WITHOUT A PLAN! Do I live on the edge or what?
Imagine that, just walking in and looking among the vast and overwhelming stacks for one such item.
I did actually go looking for an author (I can't even remember who now) and the item was out. So I stayed in that aisle and just randomly picked up five books. Why not, they're free aren't they?
And that is the beauty of the library. Free.
I came home and attempted to start each one of the five over the next few nights and NONE of them caught my fancy. I just didn't want to go on......(Isn't this dramatic?)
So this morning I did some research online for some titles, read some reviews, placed some books on hold, because naturally about 2000 other people out there are looking for the same thing I am.
Knock me down for thinking I am unique!
And I stopped to pick up some Gail Godwin.
Sometime today I'll start one of the two I picked up and see where I get, but no matter...the books, the trip, the time...it's FREE!
All part of my Every Year Goals...be more economical, be more green, be more conscious of life around you.
No comments:
Post a Comment