That was the situation today when my kids were in Art. Two boys and one girl were working and trying to guess one of the boys middle name that started with an F.
Yup...the little, sweet girl said, F*CK.
One of the boys told on her to the para.
The para told me.
I talked to the girl.
And she hung her head.
Me: So I hear there was a problem in Art.
She: Nodding and crying.
Me: So what was the "f" word you said.
She: I can't say it.
Me: Yes, you can, I know it's bad, but just whisper it.
She: I can't I'll get in trouble.
Me: Sorry, sweetie, you are already in trouble and it's not going to get worse than this. Can you spell it for me?
She: No, I don't know how. (Yes, she does need a little help in spelling.)
Me: Well, I have to hear it because I don't know if it really is a bad word.
She: (Spark of light) I don't think it is a bad word. I said "fly".
Me: Oooooh, I'm not so sure that's right and I think we'll get the boys to confirm this.
Naturally they come forward with the real "F" word and can spell it too! (They are in my TOP spelling group)
Me: (After the boys have returned to the room.) Where do you hear this word?
She: At home sometimes. My mom taught me.
So I write a little note to the parents in the planner. (Not mentioning HOW she learned this vocabulary)
And 2 minutes later the kids go home and 10 minutes later I get a call from an irate mother. Her daughter is UPSET! She did not say the F word....how could she be accused?????
Me: I'm surprised she said it also.(And then I very factually repeat the whole story.)
Mom: We just watched a movie about Mr. Frick. I think she said frick. My daughter does NOT lie!
Me: Well, I beg to differ. First, she said she did it, then said she said fly, then confessed again and now she says it was frick. Hmm, there's a mixed up story there.
Mom: Well, she was confused and upset. She is not around that kind of talk.
Me: Well, again I'm just telling what she said and she said her mom taught her that word.
Mom: loud scream...WHAT? She did NOT hear that from me.
Me: I am not saying that you did, however I am telling you what she told me. I'm just telling what I know.
Mom: (Somewhat calmed down.) Well, what is this behavior form she will be getting?
Me: She has to stay in at recess.
Mom: Will this be on her permanent record?
Me: No
(Now I didn't have the heart to tell her that usually college admissions do not look at the third grade report cards, let alone try to dig up behavior reports. And I haven't heard lately of a child being denied college admission because of saying f*ck in Third Grade.)
You can't beat the fun of my day!
One more year, one more year, one more year.....
No comments:
Post a Comment