Ed and I went to my Dad's 65th reunion from High School. 65 years! Dad wanted us to take the photo of the group, take it to Walmart to be developed and bring them back to hand out. We were happy to help out.
What we did not count on was the fun we would have watching 30 82 or 83 year old people party.
The first incident was when the group was leaving the site of the photo and shuffling to their table one lady left her purse. Ed picked it up and gave it to my dad. There were two ladies walking ahead of him and he calls out "Girls, girls, did one of you leave your purse?"
Well, they were busy talking and of course could not hear him. So my dad tries to shuffle a little faster, but they had a lead. It was funny to watch the chase.
Then when we returned from getting the photos they insisted we stay to eat (Oh, don't get me started on how good that was) and then they started their class meeting.
Well, they have $312 in their account and since they don't make deposits regularly the bank is taking $5 a month. The audacity of the bank! There was quite a heated discussion with the following suggestions:
- Should they change banks?
- What about a Credit Union?
- Perhaps they should spend the money
- Perhaps people who bank at this bank should go to the bank and tell them what they think!
Finally they came to the conclusion to spend the money. So for $250 they could buy a chair at the local theater. They had done this in the past ( Chair G103, should you want to choose to sit in THAT chair). Well, that seemed palatable.
But what about the remaining money? It was brought up that on the 25th Reunion they planted a tree at the high school. Did the class know that the SCHOOL HAS TAKEN IT DOWN!!! And the district said they would replace it, however, they HAVE NOT! Again, a heated discussion! I mean what is the priority of the district? They've gone back on their word.
Oh, Lordy, it was laughable on all counts. The seriousness they had over this money. I'm sure there are numerous charities that could benefit, but Ed and I didn't stay to hear the end result.
I called Dad today just to hear what they decided, but he couldn't talk he was having brunch with some classmates. (I just want you to know that 98% of the people that came to the reunion live in this town of 5000. I guess they just don't see each other or hear each other.)
I don't know how I can NOT become this, but I am going to go down fighting to be anything but this!
No comments:
Post a Comment