Saturday, November 20, 2010

Giving Back

Oprah emailed (just her, not her staff) and asked if I wanted to come to a taping for yesterday's show because she knew I was retiring this year also and I had given so much to kids. Plus she knew I was really trying to meditate.


I really appreciated the offer, but I am a dedicated teacher and I just couldn't miss another day. I mean, I have so much to give.


She understood. She has a lot to give too.


And boy oh boy did she on Friday for her Ultimate Favorite Things.






I would have been happy with ONE of those items.


As I watched the people in the audience scream, cry, put their hands over their faces in disbelief I wondered how I would react if I had been there. I'm not sure. Shock maybe. I think I might have been quiet because I don't think I would have known what I was getting.


I've never owned a $500 sweater. Can you see that at school? HyVee getting groceries?


Thank God this is the wrong color, it would wash me out.




A $2000 diamond watch. Really? Where do I go where that would fit in?


I was, of course, extremely jealous of every person sitting there AND I was also repulsed. On one hand it can be assumed Oprah is helping the economy. But is the back story that all these gifts were donated? And wouldn't it be nice if practical, what-the-common-folk-can-purchase items were given away?


I bet it is easy for Oprah to forget what it was like to have a salary under $50,000. Not everyone can afford $98 workout pants that make your butt look half the size. Isn't that the point of the workout?


Oh, well. I didn't get to go, I will never get all those items and I think my life is just fine without them. I'd probably never wear the watch, I'd be too worried someone would slash my hand off just to get it. AND I'm retiring. Who needs to know what time it is anyway? 

No comments:

Post a Comment