Saturday, November 13, 2010

It Takes Two

to Tango.

That's what Ed and I TRIED to do this weekend. An instructor from Argentina was in Iowa City giving Argentine Tango lessons. Ed has taken a variety of lessons from local instructors and one other time in Iowa City. You couldn't say he was experienced, but he had more experience than I did.

So the VERY first thing she asks for us all to do on Friday evening is show us what you know. (OMG, I know NOTHING! And Ed seemed to all of a sudden not remember what he knew so literally we were the dumb leading the dumber)

I believe we gave her a very clear idea of what we could do.

So for the next hour and a half I moved (danced is not the correct term) with men that knew how to dance. I think I faked it rather well and they were very kind.

That was the first lesson. The second one was right after that and for the Leads (men). Since there were no men staying for the lesson she gave Ed and I a private lesson. It was wonderful and I came away with a little more appreciation for the dance, but still very unclear about it all. I didn't really get the "overview" lesson. (She didn't give one. I think she thought  everyone who came knew what to do...HA!)

Then Ed wanted to go again today. (UGH!) So I was a good sport and went, but I put my foot down (in Argentine form) and said we were leaving at 3:45. Thank heavens he was willing.

The instructor was brusque and I found it very interesting to see how I was responding to her as a student. I was fearful and I had to concentrate. When she gave praise (and it was very little) we felt it was earned and intended. I worked very hard for her. Was I working hard for myself? Interesting question, because I did want to learn, but had she been more slack I would have slacked. Hmmm, what does that tell us about teaching and learning?

So I've got a YouTube video of a couple doing the step Ed and I learned. The couple is very similar to Ed and I, if you imagine that we are heavier, older, clumsier, and caucasian. Otherwise...EXACTLY the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment