Saturday, July 16, 2011

And So It Begins

Enjoyment of My Life.

Today I went to Iowa City to the Iowa Book Festival.

Oh I loved every minute of listening to authors -

Jane Hamilton
I've read every one of her books. She was just as I had expected, funny, bright, organic...A part of me wants to be just like her.

Mary Helen Stefanik
I did not know this author, but after listening to her I do want to read her work. She lives in Iowa City and teaches at Creighton in Nebraska. It was so informative to listen to how she researched for her stories.

Both Jane and Mary indicated that authors must listen and be aware.

Then I listened to Elizabeth Berg.
I had heard her when she was in Davenport, speaking at Barnes and Noble to a much smaller crowd. It's amazing how 'normal' these authors seem. Just like your neighbor or high school friend. Her little tip about writing, that related to Jane and Mary's, was that when you are sitting at a coffeehouse...eavesdrop! You can get some great ideas!

And funny she should have said that because three hours earlier I was at Java House, treating myself to a mocha, and there was a college age couple having a discussion. Well, rather, HE was doing the discussion. Evidently there was a communication error and she had not wanted to come to Java House for breakfast, I think she had something meatier in mind, and he didn't know. He kept talking about the importance of communication in their relationship. Funny, as I eavesdropped, I wondered if he was a psych major, how long had they been a couple, was this relationship going to last, because he seemed so much more mature than her.

Maybe it's the beginning of my first novel, I think rather not, but that's the feeling I had throughout the day, that a novel was inside just waiting to be tapped.

Then I listened to Stephanie Kallos.

Prior to my going I had never heard of her. Her second novel, Sing Them Home, has been chosen as the book for All Iowa Reads.

I had just gotten her book from the library, but had not had time to read it yet. No matter, I bought a copy. I HAD to, she was delightful! I could relate to so much of her life and funny, I laughed and laughed and laughed. She read some excerpts from her book and her humor comes through in those also.

She's lives in Seattle...one of my favorite cities. She's from the Midwest, well, hello! And she's been a teacher...uh, CONNECTION! I told her, as she signed my book, that she has become my new favorite author and I haven't even read her books! She laughed (I really hope she didn't really LISTEN to that line.)

She has these essays on her website and she read this one about her second novel. OMG, I loved it so much.

And just as a follow-up, on my drive home on I-80, I did have a new appreciation for the semis on the road. I recognized some of the models and I can now imagine the cabs inside.

And so it begins...I'm learning so much. I have time to learn even more. Isn't it great?

No comments:

Post a Comment