Fill-in-the- blank Guilt
I know you haven't heard of it by that name, but once I describe it I'm pretty sure you (if you are female) may have it.
Those who suffer from this malady are usually female, ranging in age from the early teens until death, yes it can last that long. It will not kill you, but you will take it to your death bed. It is a dormant disease at times and then can flare up quite suddenly by just a thought, minor or major.
The reason for the name comes from the supposition that at any moment, any time, you can fill in the blank to one or any of the following and feel guilt.
I wish I had _____
I remember when _______was _______and I didn't ____________
When I saw _________ I just knew I should have _______________
I was so ______ then I didn't notice ___________and I ____________
As I look back ______________
Unfortunately I didn't know and ________________
I opened my mouth and said _________when I should have __________
I didn't realize he was listening when I ___________________
I shouldn't ___________, but I did.
There are several more fill ins, but I'm sure you get the idea.
I do suffer from this. Sometimes I suffer greatly, sometimes I can let it pass by with nary a thought. I really do wonder when guilt starts and how do we know it is guilt? Does someone say at that moment, "Do you feel guilty?" and then we make the association? And when statements are made to us and we get the guilt implication, how do we know it's laced with guilt?
And once we know what guilt is and how awful it feels, why do some people choose to pass it on?
Now the treatment for this disease has been discovered. It requires several years of therapy. It will cost you millions. However if you don't have millions you can always read one of the gazillion self-help books that exist or read this short article.
The author of the article, Dr. John M. Grohol, basically gets guilt down to two kinds.
1) Rational - to teach you a lesson (you might hear a mother's tone and shaking finger in this one)
or
2) Irrational - an emotional, baseless response.
He doesn't seem to mention anything about Fill-in-the-Blank. I guess it's just too new. It may be irrationally, but it FEELS rational.
My current treatment, again self-prescribed, is first wine, then don't think about anything and if you do have a thought, even though meditation should have taught you how to rid yourself of thoughts, drink more wine.
So far it's been working really well and the resveratrol for the heart is just an added bonus.
No comments:
Post a Comment