Here is what I'm reading at Writing Club today.
I originally wrote this in 1993, shortly before my grandfather died at the age of 94. He was a wonderful man. Just exactly what you think of when you think, "grandfather.".
I had spent an evening with him in the hospital three months prior to his death and when I came home I just knew that I had experienced my last real time with him. I jotted down some thoughts in diary form and the words kept drawing me back until I sat and reconstructed them into a poem. I've made a few changes every time I read it, but this is basically true to the original essence.
My ode to my grandfather -
Curled, childlike
with hand under head
and by chin
he dozed.
the sterile white conditions
and interruptive beeps and buzzes
causing him restless sleep.
he awoke and would smile
and with familiar voice
would tell of his past,
his memory better than his present.
his frail exterior did not portray the interior
only his words could reveal.
he shared the pieces
to allow the discovery of the route
he had taken.
his tales were woven with
generosity,
mistakes,
and love.
he was offering a final gift,
a chance to touch his life,
giving a permanency to our souls.
No comments:
Post a Comment