Friday, March 30, 2012

Welcome to my home

Here's our front door currently, not real conducive to guests, so I'm not planning any parties -


I guess this semi-circle of a "porch" that we had was pulling away from the house. In 1983 when the house was built, it was not done correctly and we didn't discover it until we could see cracks, etc. 



Fortunately we were able to salvage the Chicago bricks. We don't have to buy new or try to match them up. I love saving money, recycling, and efficiency! 

They will fill this area with gravel and then we are having an aggregate top poured.

But here is the real reason for this post. My husband noticed the problem and dug down and really examined the area. (And I always complain about him just standing around and looking, I guess there is a reason why.)  So when he had the contractor out the contractor said the original footings were fine and he would proceed from there. However Ed said no, the one footing was not correct. And sure enough he was right. 

Here's my point. Had that been me with no background in staring at structures I would have trusted the contractor and the problem would have been fixed INCORRECTLY again. Money wasted. It probably would have taken another 30 years to pull away from the house and I would have been long gone by then, but that's not the point. Don't' you think the contractor should have been as precise and as exact as Ed when examining the problem? Yes, I think so too.

Oh, and here's one more thing. We probably called about five contractors to come and give a bid. Guess how many showed up? Two. 

Really, business that good? This job too small? Too crappy?

I don't get it.

And just call and say you don't do this kind of work or whatever the reason.

It's called manners, socially.

It's called good business, professionally.





No comments:

Post a Comment