Saturday, June 30, 2012

Cheers to Nora Ephron!

I was shocked and sad to learn of Nora Ephron's death this week.




 Of course things like that happen, quickly and without warning, but couple that with the fact that she kept her illness quiet from even her friends and you gain a new respect and perspective.

So last night some friends and I went to dinner and toasted Nora.

Then we went to her play at the New Ground Theater: Love, Loss and What I Wore.


It's based on a book by Ilene Beckerman and the script was written by Nora and her sister Delia.

it was funny, a little sad, funny, a little reflective, funny, a little embarrassingly true and a lot funny.

Everything women could relate to.

Here's a quote from a NY Times Theater Review -

If there are chick flicks and chick lit — derogatory though some might find those terms to be — “Love, Loss, and What I Wore” should clearly be classified as chick legit. (In old-school parlance, legit is shorthand for the legitimate theater.) Breezy and perfectly enjoyable for the stray men in the room, it’s like a big bowl of buttered popcorn (but calorie-free!) for the women who can share deeply in the particulars of experience dissected and discussed.


I highly recommend a visit. It's so much fun, especially to go with the girls. And every age girl can relate. Even if you are under 30 and can't relate to the aging body lines, almost everything else applies. The fitting of the bra, the things your mother says, the prom dress, the "outfit", the clothes your mothers buys you, etc. Every second was relatable.


And the best part is the half of the proceeds support Dress for Success Quad Cities.


It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment