Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Lifeboat

is a book by Charlotte Rogan.

I just finished reading it.

Hmm, did I love it?

No, but I read it all the way through, even though I wanted to stop. It takes place in the early 1900s and the author did a wonderful job of writing as if we were in the 1900s. For me that made it difficult to get through.

I was really anxious to find out what happened to the main character, Grace, which is probably why I finished it.

This book is more descriptive than I like. I've discovered I prefer more conversation in my literature.

Then I read a review.

In the first paragraph there is this statement -
"And there are enough symbolism and metaphor here to keep a literature class busy for half a semester."


Oops, looks like a lot of symbolism passed me by. I was just reading it, literally.


Hmm, maybe that's why I didn't like it. It seemed too much like work.


Then here's a final quote from the review:

 "yet another metaphor for those of us still here in the metaphorical lifeboat."


I guess if I had to write a review I would have to say I felt like I was IN the lifeboat with the characters, no metaphors.


That's the kind of reader I am.


Just swimming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment