Saturday, August 25, 2012

I coud not put it down

Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.



I loved it.

Ever since I taught Native Americans in Third grade curriculum I have been fascinated with their beliefs and their ingenuity. It is profound when you study the customs and inventions and discover how much of that basis we use today.

Bethia, is the main character, and she is a strong woman for her time. She has a strong connection to Caleb, a Native American, the first of such ethnicity to graduate from Harvard. (That is the truth part of this fiction.) There have just recently been two more of the Wampanoag of Gay Head to graduate Harvard. It's taken 300 years for that to happen.

It took me 40 or so pages to really get into the story line, but once I did  I could not put it down (hence the title of my post :)

Geraldine Brooks will be coming to our area in November and I intend to go. I can't wait to hear her speak. She has to be such an intelligent, articulate woman. I am amazed at her ability to write so archaically. It takes me, the reader, a while to assimilate to such vernacular, but once you do catch the wave, she takes you quickly under.

I highly recommend this book. I loved it more than March.


 I intend to read People of the Book before she arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment