Saturday, September 29, 2012

Snacks

Being gluten free it is kind of hard to find on the go snacks. Josh introduced me to seaweed snacks.

 I am in love. I can eat the whole container in one sitting, which is OK because that is only 60 calories! They are salty and crisp, my new potato chip!

Then while I was in Denver I found Skinny Crisps. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, they actually taste good! Again, when I eat them I feel like a normal person.


Here's a little quote from their website -

Our Skinny Crisps are ideal for those with celiac disease, autism, diabetes and low carb dieters, or just about anyone who enjoys a great cracker which is not only tasty, but healthy and nutritious.  The high fiber content provides satisfaction with just a few crackers. To control hunger cravings, just have three or four crackers with some coffee or tea or juice and you may find that your hunger will subside in a few minutes.

And they are right, just a few crackers and you are good to go!

Another snack I found in CA was Cocomojoe bars. 

They are raw, vegan, GF, DF...I mean they meet every requirement and oh so delicious. I also adore the founder's story. He was in dire straights, had had an accident, lots of losses in his life and he decides to put his life back together and he starts making granola! He lives in Venice, CA. It's hippie haven. What better place to say, "You just gotta do it, man!"

And my last snack is Cashewtopia. I found this both in CO and CA (note how I'm NOT showing IA "frown, frown, frown" (However I have taken these products to our local grocery's Health Market and asked that they try.)

Check this out from their website -

Organic Nectars organic, non-dairy low-glycemic frozen dessert is amazingly delicious, with a creamy texture you'll love! This frozen cashew creme is made from raw, organic cashews and is free of processed sugar, dairy, eggs, soy, wheat, gluten and GMOs. Sweetened with Organic Nectars' own 100% raw, organic agave syrup, it's suitable for people watching their sugar intake. And at 150 calories or less per serving, it's a guiltless pleasure! Certified organic, vegan and non dairy kosher.

Again, a wonderfully delicious product that is actually good for your sweet tooth. My kids in LA loved it. and they usually sigh and wrinkle their noses at my GF treats.

There are two downsides to all of the above snacks -

1) Except for the seaweed I can get none of them locally. Things are improving here, but in my mind we have a long way to go.

2) They are expensive. However I justify it all by knowing that the money I invest in one of these snacks is far better for me than a McDonald's fries or a bag of chips or a Snickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment