Monday, October 15, 2012

Sandcastle Girls

by Chris Bohjalian

is my latest read.

Why have I been reading about genocide and tragedy lately? It certainly hasn't been a plan, just the luck of the draw in my 'holds' at the Library.

This is a tale about a writer discovering her grandparents' Aremenian past in the 1915 horror when the Turks wanted to rid the area of Armenians. I'm not a history buff. I found it all rather boring in school. Now I am much more fascinated, but of course you see, at my age it means I have a lot more to catch up on.

The author wove the tale of 1915 with the current day. He passed through the decades easily. The book flowed. I was in awe of his master plan when writing. Did he have the entire story in his head? Did he outline how he would talk of 2011 for a few pages then revert to 1915? It is impressive when you reflect on the skill it takes to be a storyteller. So I did a little research (on my addictive internet) and voila, I found an answer to my inquires that will have to suffice until I can speak to Chris himself.

Years ago I read the author's book, Midwives and I loved it. I can't say I loved this book, but I enjoyed it. It kept me interested, but due to the subject matter there is a sadness in the book, so don't chose this if you want an uplift.

The reading of this book did renew my interest in Bohjalian's books. He has written fourteen, so I am a little behind there also.

Here's a much more professional review, for your pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment