one forgets what it is like to care for a baby.
They are so cute.
Every action is noteworthy.
Every look a photographer's dream.
And they are A LOT of work.
I have forgotten how little time you have to yourself while caring for a baby. Her naps are hardly enough time for me to collect my thoughts and then, boom, she's awake. (It actually reminds me of teaching. Our 30 minute breaks were hardly enough time to do more than go to the bathroom and think what do I need to do and BAM, the kids were back in the room.)
I've also forgotten how the craziest things, the comical side of life, happens when you are caring for a baby AND a dog.
So I have Aven upstairs in her room for a nap. I'm rocking, I'm successfully quieting and in walks Bailey. Fine, I think. He can rest here. Then I notice he has found something. A kleenex. He is tearing the kleenex to pieces and eating shreds of it. I believe he knows I will not say anything because I have the baby. I'm thinking he is going to eat it all and get sick, but he does stop at two good gobbles.
Prior to that I had Aven on the sofa, almost asleep. There is a pillow under my arm to give me support for all those arm muscles I have neglected the last thirty some years and who should walk over from his 'nest' and start to scratch on the pillow? Yup, Bailey the Wonder Dog. He was feeling rather neglected. And what did his scratching accomplish? If you guessed Aven waking up, you must have been a parent yourself.
A third antic I've had with my granddaughter and grand dog is when we returned from a walk. ( A GORGEOUS 45 degrees; Bailey was panting!) Bailey wanted his treat, Aven wanted out of the carrier, I had to get my shoes and coat off; we were quite a sight. Leash, snowsuit, shoes, coats, stroller, everything strewn all over the house. Mommies make this look a whole lot easier than it is. So I have Aven in my arms and we bend down below the sink to get Bailey his treat. We manage to pull one out and then I make the smart decision to put the box of treats on the counter so they will be easier to reach, with a baby. Good idea, poor maneuvering. The box turns upside down. Bailey looks at me. This is a gold mine. Aven watches us all, waiting to see what her part in this could be. So Aven and I bend to put the box upright and I'm hoping the treats will suction back inside very smoothly. Of course this only happens in animated television. The treats are on the floor. I pick up the larger ones and the small bits that are scattered in a 12 inch circumference at this point I just look at. In a split second I make a decision. Bailey gets to lick the platter clean, so to speak. And he does. Lucky dog. Plus that area of the floor no longer needs to be mopped.
I've only been at this three days. I'm just wondering if I will get better at handling it all or if my stories will increase with hilarity.
Today and tomorrow are my days off from my Granny Nanny World. I plan to help out in whatever ways I can, but I will get out of the house and get out of their hair. They need their family time and I want to enjoy 45 degree in January. This is HEAVEN!!!!!
I'm glad to hear you say this, because I just thought it was ME not being in sync with being a mom again...old, out of practice... I'm glad you are having the same humorous moments with Aven and Bailey. You should see me with three of them plus a dog! Oh my....hilarity at its finest!
ReplyDelete