is my latest literary completion.
I borrowed it from the Denver Public Library.
Their website is so much easier to navigate than the one from home.
This book is tiny. And it didn't take me long to read.
Julie Otsuka's writing is style is very unique. She writes in third person. several third persons. She speaks for several women who have been transported to California as brides of men they have never met.
The life she describes for these women is not pleasant. And then comes WW II and the Japanese Internment. And Otsuka describes effectively the uncertainty and panic the Japanese felt at this time for just being Japanese.
I can't say I loved the book, but it made me think and sympathize.
After watching Django Unchained and reading this book I'm so appalled at our (white Americans) bias and prejudice and ignorance. Do we not value diversity, but only relish sameness?
And speaking of Django Unchained. If you have seen the movie or are thinking about it, read this review. He spoke what I felt and could not materialize into the written word. It is very thought provoking (both movie and review)

No comments:
Post a Comment