is the title of another Anne Tyler book I just completed.
I did not like it as well as Saint Maybe.
But it was short and it didn't take me long to complete.
Tyler has an easy reading style.
However here is what I discovered while I was reading and thinking at the same time. (So you know I wasn't doing one or the other well, because who can do both of those simultaneously?)
I was reflecting on my enjoyment of Saint Maybe so much more than this book and then my mind was wandering to Anne Tyler's age and as she's getting older she's just not as prolific a writer or maybe everyone has a little hiccup on the road to creativity.
And then I stopped myself. Seriously, who am I to judge? I couldn't write even one paragraph as well as her. I can't develop characters. I can't describe a scene.
Reality check: even her worst novel (as judged by moi) would be considered my BEST work.
So, I finished the book with a new attitude. It was an enjoyable way to spend my time. I appreciated her efforts and I am no worse for the time invested.
Now I don't consider myself a very profound book reviewer. I just know what I like, but I do enjoy reading the reviews of others. Sometimes they sway me, sometimes not. So imagine my delight when I read this review in the NYTimes and discovered that this reviewer and I were not so far off.
However as you will be able to tell if you read the review, it is much more detailed and well written. (Please refer to prior comment about on my best day....)

No comments:
Post a Comment