Long ago when Oprah first started her Book Club she had a Toni Morrison novel on her list.
I tried to read it.
I wanted to love it.
I just couldn't get into it.
Well fast forward a few years and I just completed my first Morrison novel, Home.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Go figure. I must be mature enough now to read her books.
I absolutely loved this passage on p. 126. It so ties in with my post yesterday on Dr. Trent.
I love it when one keeps getting messages...
"'See what I mean? Look to yourself. You free. Nothing and nobody is obliged to save you but you. Seed your own land. You young and a woman and there's serious limitation in both, but you a person too. Don't let Lenore or some trifling boyfriend and certainly no devil doctor decide who you are. That's slavery. Somewhere inside you is that free person I'm talking about. Locate her and let her do some good in the world.'"
Locate her.
A lifelong message to us all.

No comments:
Post a Comment