It is the only form of exercise that I will do willingly.
I am passionate about it.
There are so many health benefits to yoga.
Scientific research supports that yoga -
- improves depressive symptoms
- decreases chronic pain
- reduces stress
- lowers blood pressure
If you are stressed your muscles tense and this leads to more negative thinking. Relaxing those muscles, especially the facial, will push the brain away from stress and toward more relaxed thoughts.
I was reading about stress and our stress response is partly innate and partly learned in childhood and this tendency is enhanced by years or reinforcement. What shocked me, however when I thought it through it should not, but we absorb how our parents reacted to stress and then these reactions get worked into our own nervous system.
I'm OK with working through my own stress, but I feel badly if how I reacted was passed on to my kids. All the more reason to really be careful in parenting. Parents truly are so much more of a role model than we realize.
What is so great about yoga is that it can help you change those stress reactive habits and ANY habit can be change or at least improved.
So
breathe deeply and slowly
relax those facial muscles
to clear your head of anxious thoughts
and focus on the here and now
Namaste

No comments:
Post a Comment