Thursday, May 16, 2013

Going Grocery Shopping

Takes on whole new meaning with a baby.

First there is the planning ahead part and I'm not talking about a grocery list. I had that. You can't just declare, "Let's go get some groceries."

I had already discussed how to get Aven  in the stroller, now that she's no longer using the car seat. So I knew I had to put the stroller down the stairs after I put Aven in the play/seat/toy.

So I'm thinking of what else I need. I had a recyclable bag, I needed my wallet and phone and key.

I think I'm ready.

Set.

Go.

I get my socks and shoes on while watching Aven on the floor. Then put her in the play/seat/toy and move it in view of the door so she knows where I am.

Then I open the door and push the stroller down the stairs all the while talking to Aven but really telling Bailey he is not going with us. 

I rush back in to get Aven and my phone and wallet and then I remember what about toys in the stroller? None. So I grab Aven and we frantically look for some toys with the Velcro strap. I found two. I knew she had more, but I have no time. The door is open, the stroller ready, Aven in my arms and Bailey clearly disappointed.

I lock the door, get her strapped in and off we go.

One block down I realize I have forgotten the recyclable bag. Oh well. But I feel very environmentally wasteful.

Two blocks down I realize the sun is very bright. I had forgotten my sunglasses.

Three blocks down I realize I didn't get the King's Sooper card to get reduced prices on groceries.

Once in the store Aven and I manage to navigate all that we need to get. I am just keeping her in the stroller and placing the groceries in the basket underneath. I just don't think I could handle a cart today.

Aven is very good in the store, wide eyed and watching very carefully my meanderings. 

When I get to the check out a grandma is ahead of me with a one year old in her cart. They both look very put together, as if this is a common every day occurrence. I almost feel compelled to say I had my act together by the end of January and this is my first day back in the trenches. However I didn't. She probably wouldn't have cared.

We exchanged baby ages and cuteness compliments and she moved on.

I turned to the clerk and with the most harried voice and look I could give (not a really difficult thing to do) and said, " I've forgotten my daughter 's King Sooper card and my sunglasses, but look, I did remember the baby!" And with that Aven smiled sweetly almost as if on cue. (We may have a show to take on the road yet)

He just smiled, rather knowingly, like I'm not the first grandma to stroll through and he gave me the discount without the card.

Terrific. Mission accomplished and then I look at the time. It is almost 11:30 Aven's  next nap and a small window to get her to sleep. As I'm noting this I'm also aware she is getting more quiet. She may fall asleep in the stroller and then I will never get her to bed. 

We have two blocks to go. I chant, I sing, I make a fool of myself, just to keep her alert.

It works. We pull up and she yawns, but not asleep!

So I rush her in and place her in the play/seat/toy and run back out to drag the stroller with three bags of groceries up the steps.

Then I grab Aven and we whirl upstairs as I attempt to create the right environment for sleep.

Fortunately she cooperated and slept for an hour and a half.

I unloaded groceries and rested myself.

Tomorrow I vow to be better organized, but am surprised at what I did accomplish considering my years away from the craft of mothering a baby. 

It is kind of like riding a bike, only it comes back to you much more slowly.

1 comment: