Wednesday, July 17, 2013

If you are really in to Mindfulness

like I am trying to be,

here is a great website for all sorts of articles and book reviews to get you on the right path.

It's called Greater Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life. It's scientists trying to tap in to what makes us happy, what keeps us happy, just anything happy.

And of course it would be in Berkeley, CA. Don't you always equate that area with peace and love and power to the flower?

I've just discovered this site myself and I can't wait to read the articles.

 I read the article on the Mind Wandering. It's very appropriate as that is what we are talking about in the Mindfulness class all the time. According to the author, Matt Killingsworth, our mind wanders 47% of the time.

Whew, I am not that unusual after all.

However this is not such a good thing. When our mind wanders it tends to wander to unpleasant things.  And then one thought connects to another and another and away we go to a place where we can sink and be totally out of sync with where we are in this very moment.

Unfortunately this being aware and mindful of every moment is not as easy as it sounds. It's like super, super paying attention. It's like being really, really focused. It's like using all your senses. And when those thoughts come in you just label them and ask them in such a kind way to move on (which means you push them out of your mind.)

So while you are doing the dishes, you really pay attention to doing the dishes. You notice the suds, the warmth of the water, the texture of the glass, the tackiness of the food residue. You take this task that you might want to hurry up and get over with so you can do something more fun and you try to make it meaningful.

It all seems so silly, but I get the big picture. It's rewiring, retraining, redirecting our thoughts. All so that we can enjoy what little time or whatever time we have remaining or with family or with friends. It's making the most, the best, of everything.

It's being grateful.

It's being thankful.

It's being mindful.

No comments:

Post a Comment