Hindsight it was a good thing he was in charge.
I thought it was stupid to have an auction. Who would come? Who would buy? And why?
Well about 100 people would come and they would buy stuff I never gave more than a glance. And the why I'm still trying to figure out.
Here's one of the table sections. We had two SIX table squares filled with boxes of treasures. (Note the porta potty in the background. That comes with an auction and there was a food table too. A big day)
You may not be able to see it well, but there are TWO flat bed trailers filled with garage/tool must haves. These items were sold at the end of the sale. Only the die hard men remained for this part. They were buying boxes of 'junk' for five, ten, twenty dollars. One man had the back of his pick up truck LOADED. I bet his wife was excited to see him come home.
Not having been to an auction in years I tried to pay attention to the protocol. The auctioneer has a headset and is followed around by a scribe. His "eyes" watch the crowd for the ever so slight nod or finger raise and they shout out "Yup" "Yup" and he raises the price. And everything was selling or so I thought. Nope. When he sees things are not going to sell he claims it is sold to #whatever and that is 'his' number. So basically he takes some items and either trashes them or tries to resell them at another auction.
This was the first item to sell off the antique table. It was a souvenir crock from a small town business nearby that is no longer in existence. It sold for $275. I was dumbfounded. So was Dad. He had no idea he even owned it or that it was valuable. We had several items like this. One calendar that was in my dad's garage for YEARS and was dirty and torn and yellowed was very special to a collector and he paid $175 for it. Go figure.
One man was very intent on getting this lamp. My parents had two. He bought them both. I never cared for them. Ever. I'm just not into antiques.
My aunt and her friend watched from the porch. I guess auctions are a great way to spend your day.
My aunt, uncle and cousin came from Wisconsin. So I guess you could technically say we drew crowds from out of state.
My brother, to the left, and my nephew, in the truck, often demonstrated the fine benefits of the wares. They weren't very effective. We didn't sell the van.
At the end of the day only a few things remained unsold. They were to sit outside last night and if someone took them, great, if not they were being donated today.
This man bought these great items. He waited four hours just to get a deal. I think the cart was one of his purchases. Good stuff, people. His total cost, probably $25.
And so you are probably thinking, ah, well that is done. Nope. My dad still has a five car garage with stuff. He cleaned out a lot of it (the two flat bed trailers) however to me it still looks filled. This will remain until he can no longer putter in his garages. And then I believe we will go at it all over again.
![]() |
| One tiny section of a wall in his current garage. |
UGH!




No comments:
Post a Comment