I know, I know I'm on a theme here, but all this brain stuff is extremely interesting to me.
On my walks I listen to NPR, especially Terri Gross on Fresh Air. Penelope Lewis, head of a sleep research institute in Manchester England was on recently. Her book is The Secret World of Sleep.(click the title to read an excerpt)
The conversation was a lot on memory and sleep, both of which I have issues. I have trouble sleeping and I worry constantly that I will lose my memory as I age. Because sleep is important to good brain health as well as the rest of the body. A vicious cycle!
Plus I find that when I discuss the past my memory just doesn't have the same detailed recall as others and I wonder why. Was I just not paying attention? Was the situation not that important to me to retain it?
Lewis and others are studying what happens to our brain while we sleep.
Well it appear our brain is filtering. I've said for years my brain is like a rolodex and sometimes it is on overload. When I think of all the students and parents I've had over the years, all those names and faces and to try to recall them in an instant when I see them after quite a lapse of time; well that is a feat.
So at night our brain takes our day and reduces what we need to remember. We don't have to retain the color of someone's dress (however that's usually what I do retain) and instead the brain keeps the essence of the information it deems valuable. (ha!)
To understand memory is fundamental to our personalities and to how we function.
To me it all sounds fascinating.
I want to read the book, but only if it will support my brain's reasoning for what it does and does not retain.
No comments:
Post a Comment