I like family traditions because they provide some security and control. You know what to expect when you get together. However it is not easy to maintain traditions. When everyone in the family lives in the same area, those expectations are much easier to be met. Now with so many family members living vastly apart, it is harder to maintain.
This article in the NY Times shares some insight on traditions and that the child that knows and understands her family is a stronger, more confident person. Knowing where we have come from and how family members handle challenges can set examples and provide guidance.
So it is important to tell the family stories.
I see that so much with my dad. I know a lot of his stories, of how he came to be the person he is today, but sometimes he tells a story I never knew. Somehow they are all so much more interesting now, than when I was a teen or small child.
I've been trying to write my stories, but I find myself searching for something that would be interesting. It seems my life was/is so boring. Maybe not. Maybe to someone else what I experienced would be intriguing. Who can know? The importance is to tell the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment