Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Boys in the Boat

by Daniel James Brown is my latest read.


It is the true account of nine boys from the state of Washington who crew a boat that wins the 1936 Olympics, amidst the reign of Hitler.

It is not a quick read or entirely engaging, but the individual stories of how the boys managed to get to college, stay in college, and work as a team are what holds the book together. You know up front they are going to win the Olympics, so that suspense is gone, but the back stories of what they had to overcome to get there are intriguing.

It took me an entire three weeks to get through this book because it did not grab me, but I wanted to know the story. Also because I am a little familiar with Seattle it was fun to read about that city in its early years.

My son-in-law's mom read the book and thought I would be interested, plus I had read it on several book lists. It is worth the time. It is an uplifting book about the human spirit as it perseveres. I also learned a lot about rowing, a sport I barely know exists. I wish now I could have gone to see The Husky Clipper where it resides as a reminder of hard work and success in Washington's Conibear Shellhouse for all prospective Washington rowers to view. Maybe the next time I'm in Seattle.

The rights of the book have also been picked up by  director, Kenneth Branagh, for a movie. Why should anyone be surprised. I do think it could be a great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment