Western Avenue
I
grew up on Western Avenue, the last street on the western edge of Maquoketa.
For all of my years living there the street was never paved. It was gravel at
first, then asphalt, with ditches on each side. It really resembled a country
road. It was a long street, with no cross streets, it seemed like it was a mile
long, but I imagine that’s an exaggeration. It’s probably more a half a mile.
There
were really two halves to the street. The half that I lived on had homes, close
together, just like any other neighborhood, but with long, extra long,
backyards.At the corner was the Dunn house, which was a large home, reminiscent
of a plantation. They easily had an acre lot. Then across the street was a
mobile home park. Even though the trailer park was four houses away from mine,
we never explored in that area.
The
southern half of the street was occupied by two people. The Tubbs had an apple
orchard on one side and the Cregor’s had horses and a stable on the other. It
was said the reason our street was never paved or at least took so many years
for it to happen was because of the Tubbs’ and the Cregor’s. They didn’t want
to pay the taxes for the improvement.
Our
lot was also an acre and it was unique in that my dad has his electrical shop
on the property. So our house and dad’s work were together. The land is zoned
both residential and commercial. We had a huge driveway for large trucks to
drop off supplies.
This
made it ideal for riding bikes. After work hours all the neighborhood kids knew
it was safe to come and play and we had bikes and wagons galore in the drive.
My parents never seemed to mind and everyone driving in was cautious as were
we, always on the look out for incoming traffic.
Probably
after we had lived in the house for fifteen years our church built a new
sanctuary to the west, at Western Avenue’s mid-point. This made it quite
convenient as my parents had us walk to Sunday School. Even though it wasn’t a
far walk, many times people driving by would give us a lift. Sometimes we took
a ride and sometimes we declined. I suspect it depended on the weather and just
exactly who was offering the ride.
Because
our street had no cross streets we had to walk to either end to head to our
schools or downtown. We only had about a block to walk to the north to get to a
main thoroughfare. However, the walk to the south, past the Cregor’s and the
Tubbs’ took forever. We rarely took that route.
The
location of our lot and the size of our driveway sort of made it a natural
breaking point for people walking. If you walked through our backyard you could
go north and down an embankment to the grocery store or you could go east and
you entered a newer subdivision, which led to more streets and I always
thought, a readier access to civilizaition.
I
always felt so isolated on Western Avenue, even though we had neighbors around,
our lots were all so large, so we didn’t have that close neighbor feel. Except
for the house to our north. They were close.
We
had two different families living there for the most of my childhood. The first
family was the Olsons, Myrna and Buddy and their two boys Dave and Jay. Dave
was my brother’s age and Jay was considerably younger. I used to babysit for
Jay. Their uncle, Jimmy, was my age and when he would visit he usually ended up
at our house playing outside. I distinctly remember one thought I had about
Jimmy one summer. We were reading comic strips out of the paper and he couldn’t
read as well as I could. That was it. He and I would never be married. I felt
he would not be able to read the comics to our children.
The
next family to move into the house were the Reisdorfs. They were quite the
crew. There were seven children, and their mom. The oldest daughter stayed in
Missouri, where they had lived before. The parents had divorced and the mom
brought the kids back to Maquoketa where she had grown up.
Sue
was my age, Tom was a year older and then there was a daughter two years
younger than me. I was awestruck by their sheer numbers and the fact that one
could have so many siblings so close together. My brother was five years
younger and my sister nine years younger. We had three separate families, they
had a ready made team.
They
also crammed a lot of living into a three bedroom house. I marveled at their
efficiency and their conservation of space. I also fell in love with Tom. He
was a cutie. My bedroom window looked out on their house and sometimes in the
summer he would stand on their patio and swing his baseball bat with numerous
fictional homeruns. I was his number one fan. In my mind this earned him the
right to be my husband, his ability to swing at air, with just the right form.
I don’t know why he never had to pass the reading comic strip test.
After
they moved several families rented this house and came and went. I was long
gone to college by then and more changes came to Western Avenue. Somehow the
Tubbs and the Cregors were forced to allow the city to pave the street. It
truly became a whole new neighborhood when there was a gutter and pavement. It
didn’t seem like we were one foot in town and one foot in the country.
The
Dunn house on the corner was torn down and became a car lot. I missed that big
old house. Today it has gone through another transformation and has become a Kwik
Star gas station.
The
mobile park rolled on out and a Mc Donald’s came in its place. I’ve often
wondered what my childhood would have been like had McDonald’s been down the
street.
And
even the property I grew up in has changed. My brother owns the business now
and he has added on to the shop. He tore down our family home and made a
larger, circular drive for the delivery trucks.
The
land to the west of Western Avenue that was once just field now houses a hotel, a grocery store, a hardware
store, a dollar store and several other small businesses. All those years it
was quiet and now it’s bustling with traffic.
Sometimes
when I was younger I lamented living on the edge of town. It was a quieter
street. It was a farther walking distance from downtown and the schools. I
always felt a little lonely. I wanted to run through yards several streets over
and play in a lot of neighborhoods, at least those were the childhoods I
thought others were having.
And
now when I see how commercial the area has become I wonder if I would have
enjoyed my childhood as much. Maybe it was better having it all be so much
simpler and quiet and restful.
I’ll never know.
No comments:
Post a Comment