Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club

was my yesterday movie of choice.

Do not go if you want to feel good throughout or after. It's a downer, but so well acted.

Matthew McConaughey is not my favorite actor, but he did a fantastic job. He showed great emotional range and rage.

The most disturbing part was his weight loss. It was actually hard to watch. At one point he is in a hospital gown and the back flies open, as it tends to do, and you can see his hip bones. He is gaunt.

Jared Leto, who plays a transgender, is just as thin. In one of his scenes you can see his ribs. And I bet he has a 25 inch waist.

And was it really necessary? I can't imagine. Sure their look gave sympathy to the character, but the story would have been just as effective with them at a normal or ten pounds less weight.

Here they talk about their weight loss.

I'm betting one of them gets an Oscar. Great performances, sad movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment