Yesterday I had a change in my schedule (now that makes my day sound important doesn't it?)
So I went to see Nebraska.
What a delight.
Does it deserve Best Picture, no, not compared to the others running, but it is very enjoyable.
And what a trip down memory lane.
I grew up in that town with those people. It was so familiar it was almost scary.
But it could be any Small Town, USA. The inside of the house with all the junk around, the scene where all the elderly are sitting in rows watching tv and not talking were classic.
The biases and prejudices of the town 'folk', the manner in which they spoke, their body shapes, their quiet unassuming social commentary were so typical of my small town and I'm sure one anywhere in the US. I can envision the same in the south, the NE, the NW, the SW.
There is just something unique about a small town.
But it isn't just that, it's the story between the father (Bruce Dern) and his son (Will Forte). Bruce Dern does a great job playing an elderly man. I've seen far too many of such characters as I visit my father and mother in law in Assisted Living. I'm curious as to how much "acting" Bruce had to actually do.
But it is a story of growth and understanding for the son. He didn't have a great relationship with his father and this journey helps him go deeper and come to terms with why is his father has these needs and how he can help him achieve the same.
You leave, not drained, but filled with goodness.
I enjoyed it. It's soft, it's subtle, and it enriches.
No comments:
Post a Comment