Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Busyness

The Art of Being Busy.

It's all relative, isn't it?

My neighbor called me yesterday to check on the date and time he was transporting us to the airport. In that conversation he runs through his schedule.

Pick up someone from airport at 11 tonight.

Physical Therapy on Wednesday.

Doctor on Thursday.

Take us to airport.

Something on Monday.

Whew. He said, "I've got so many things to do."

As far as I could tell it was just one a day.

He, like myself, is retired. And I can really relate and I never thought I would say this.

When I was working and trying to cram about a thousand things, or maybe three, into an hour after school and before dinner I swore I would never use the words "busy" when I was retired.

It's all relative. I think when you get used to calling the shots for the day, when you get used to having the day to yourself and then you get appointments or obligations that you have to work around; you call yourself busy. You can resent the fact that you no longer have "time" to yourself.

It's not the same kind of busyness. It never will be. However we are all allowed a perspective and from my neighbor's view, one item per day ranked him as busy.

So going by that definition, I have ONE appointment today.

Gosh, I'm really busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment