I’ve always liked having a choice. Who likes to be told,
“No, I’m sorry, this is all we have or this is all you can have?” People
usually like the freedom that comes with choice. After all it is what our
country was based upon, freedom of religion., freedom to vote, freedom to speak,
free to be our own person.
However, is it my age, or is it that I’ve spent way too many
years weighing the pros and cons of a choice, that I now reel from the options?
Have you ever gone down the cereal aisle in a grocery store? There are hundreds
of options. I haven’t done the experiment but I bet if I took the time to read
every label, discerning the ingredients and nutritional content to find the
most nutritious brand, yes we know this is an oxymoron, I could arrive at the
store’s open and leave at its closing and still not complete the selection.It
would take hours. So as consumers we usually buy the brand we are most familiar
with or the one with the most enticing advertisement.
I’m currently thinking about purchasing a different car. I
dread the thought. I like the make of my current car, so the easiest option is
to go to that dealer and say let me see the current model. Drive it. Boom.
Done, However, what if there is another manufacturer that makes a car with the
features that I really desire? Well, we know what that means. I have to go to
all the dealers, listen to their not very informative, but rather persuasive
chatter, test drive, and then back my way out the door one careful step at a
time as to not get myself in a trap.
Consumer choices overwhelm me. It used to be you bought a
pair of jeans. They were denim. They usually fit. Now I can get slim cut, curvy
cut, boot leg or wide. I can get washed denim or indigo or if I really want to
pay the big bucks, I can buy them with slashes and holes for that wonderfully
casual distressed look. I have to try on about eight pairs of jeans in as many
different brands to find one pair that fits. It’s exhausting and it makes me
not want a pair of jeans.
Recently I made the decision to paint some rooms in my house.
Ye gads, just choosing a paint color requires a Masters degree in art. There
are, of course, at least twenty different companies with paint chips. And once
the color scheme is decided there are about forty different shades, with forty
different names in each strand. When you hold the chips next to each other you
can see an ever so slight variation. This one is a little more pink, this one
more green and mind you these are all shades of white. So really, what strikes
your fancy, Hampshire taupe, dellwood sand, stone house or everlasting? And I
digress here, but do you think there is one lone person just hired to make up
paint names? I might want that job.
In general I’m overwhelmed when I shop. I don’t want to
stand for hours and peruse the aisle or the internet for the strengths of one
style or brand versus another. Or hunt down where I can buy it cheaper and at
which day of the month or time of the day.
I know this is
all about free enterprise. And I appreciate the creativity and entrepreneurship
of individuals. Some absolutely fantastic consumer products have been created
and I’ve purchased them and I enjoy them. I don’t want to go back to one or two
choices, but seriously an Oreo cookie was great just the way it was, we didn’t
need holiday versions.
I would love to sit down with the people in marketing who
have profiled me as a consumer and have identified the spending habits of my
community. I don’t think they always have it right and I resent being typed.
But this really counters my premise here because often I want other choices
when I shop. Sometimes I don’t care for any of the selections and I wonder why
my choice is so limited.
So, do I want choice or not? Of course I want a choice. I
don’t want someone dictating what I can buy, but in reality they are. I am
offered only the choices their buyer deems appropriate to put on the shelf or
post on a site. And so I complain there are too many choices and yet,
sometimes, not enough. Oh, I am the bane of every proprietor. I am never
satisfied. I think it’s because I’ve been given too much choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment