I really enjoyed this TED Talk by Dan Gilbert on the Psychology of your future self.
It's short and worth a listen.
What I loved most, given my age, is Gilbert's main message: As long as we are human we are continuing to evolve and change.
Simple enough and sort of a 'duh', but I often feel that I am supposed to have very consistent behaviors and my tastes or interests or thoughts should have evolved to the point that I truly know who I am.
Gilbert gives you permission to accept the changes you make. What you like now will change in the next year or month or moment and that is OK.
He reverts back to that adage I found profound in my high school philosophy class: Change is the only constant. Which I discovered was first stated by Heraclitus (535 BC - 475 BC), wow now that's some longevity for the power of our words.
No comments:
Post a Comment