This is what I love about retirement.
No. Time. Constraints.
While I do have situations where I need to show up on time, overall time is my own to configure.
I have been hungry for that for 30+ years.
While teaching, time was NEVER my own.
I had to show up at a specific time. Leave at a specific time. And be ON at a specific time.
I couldn't say to the kids as they were bouncing in the door, "UH, I haven't finished my coffee, so would you please just quietly mingle until I'm ready."
They show up, I am ON.
I could never check an email with 25+ eyes watching me.
Or schedule a hair appointment.
Or answer a personal call.
Or order something from Amazon.
I was ON.
When the kids were out of the room and I had a chance to return a call, whether to a parent or for an appointment for myself, I remember making statements like this, "Sure, you can call be back, but it will have to be between 10:28 and 10:47."
I'm sure they were doing "HUH?" on the other end.
I had only snippets of time to call my own. The rest of my time was owned by the district and my kids.
I LOVED teaching and I would still be teaching if it was not for the stress that those constraints (plus about a gazillion others) it takes on you.
So I am loving every MINUTE of being able to call time my own.
I had no idea that freedom could be so liberating.
No comments:
Post a Comment