Since I've been retired I have worked very hard to look for the potential in my own backyard. And surprisingly there are quite a few opportunities. I just had to look and create the time.
Last night was one of those experiences. I went to our library to hear author, Chris Crutcher speak.
He was addressing the issue of book banning for our library's Book Banning Week. I wasn't originally going to go as I hadn't read his books, (he is YA) and well, I guess I was lackadaisical about the whole thing. Then a friend wanted to go and she urged me forward.
I am so glad I went. He was hilarious and serious at the same time; which he addressed by indicating he leads the reader to the tragic via humor. As a former therapist he has a background of characters and situations to draw from for his fiction, thus the themes of his books are serious. There is rape, sex, domestic violence, which frequently gets his books banned. He said he does not start out trying to get banned, but rather has a story he wants to tell.
As anyone knows who works with people when you make a connection with another it is forever surprising the revelations that could result and Crutcher has had several children respond to his literature saying, "I thought I was the only one that felt this way."
I left enthused, filled with laughter, and happy that Crutcher stepped into my life for a brief few moments. I will reconnect with him on the printed page.

No comments:
Post a Comment