My husband loves to hear about one's dreams. He doesn't always analyze them, but loves to listen and help you make some sense out of it.
I have yet to tell him about my dream last night.
I was going back to school to substitute and I was late. I must have been arriving for the afternoon class because I was coming in at the noon recess and walking in just as the kids were also, which meant I had NO time to prepare.
As you can imagine I was a little hassled.
I was checking in at the office and looking in the teacher's mailbox and taking off my coat, all the while the kids were going in to their rooms. As I walked down the hall to the room (my old room by the way) one child poked her head out the door and said, "Quiet, she's on her way!"
When I walked in to the room some kids were scrambling to get to their desks, while others were looking so angelic with hands clasped at their chest.
And my oh my were the kids big. I asked them, "What grade are you in?" And they replied, "Third".
"Hmm, I used to teach third and you guys look a whole lot bigger than my students."
Some snickered, but no one answered. I just felt so out of the loop, like really were my students THIS big?
Then I spent the entire rest of my dream trying to take roll. There were so many obstacles:
1) I couldn't find a main list of students. There were several lists, none of them organized, some that looked like reading groups lists, others that just looked like scribblings. I was so frustrated and all the while the students were messing around, of course.
2) Then one of my first tasks was to read Scholastic News with them. I smiled. It was something we always kept on hand for subs. However the kids kept coming up and handing me a book order with money. I never got to the SN.
3) Finally I pleaded with them to sit down so I could take roll. I tried the tactic of "This used to me my room." And that placated them for about three minutes as they questioned me on how the room was different.
And then I woke up from my nightmare.
I don't need my husband to help me analyze this dream.
I DO NOT want to go back to teaching!
Ha ha ha...I love this because I too STILL have random dreams about teaching. Usually the theme is the same one: the kids are there and I am not ready and/or I cannot control the group. After all these years you'd think I wouldn't still have those dreams!
ReplyDelete