is always how I felt when I taught. Every day, in my bag, I carried the following:
my lunch
a water bottle
papers I had corrected (or not)
maybe a grade book (back when it wasn't online)
shoes (if I was wearing boots because I had recess duty)
books (for reading groups or read aloud)
science experiment materials (not every day, but frequently I had to take items from home for experiments. Every year for sure I carried ice to school for one unit.)
So every night I would make sure my bag was ready for the next morning. My one wish in the world was to go to work without a bag. I just wanted to carry my purse and walk in and out of work.
Jump ahead to retirement and imagine my ironic surprise that I still have to carry a bag or at least make that pile of 'stuff' when I leave my home.
On Wednesday I was heading to get my haircut and then off to see my dad, with some errands on the way. So in my car went:
a gift for my stylist's son
a book to drop off at the library
my lunch because I wouldn't be eating with my dad
the pharmacy bill for my dad to be paid
a new belt for him
my iPad to show Dad videos of the girls
Why did I think I would ever escape from the planning and organization that is sometimes required when you leave the house? I could not be organized and I must admit I am more frequently 'living in the moment' and not as well planned as I used to be, but I'm not as comfortable in that mode.
And truth be told all that planning and organization is good for the brain cells. I need to keep them moving and multiplying. What I also need to keep in front of me is that I do not have to carry a bag and all its wonderfully organized contents EVERY day to work.
For this small thing I am eternally grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment