Sunday, December 14, 2014

How to Spend Your Time

when you have laryngitis (for the second time in a month, ARGH)

you watch tv.

I chose to watch a reality show I'd seen advertised:House of DVF (Diane von Furstenberg) on E!

OMG. If you take the fashion out, the editing and purposeful drama out; it is a fabulous study of the millenniums.

The premise of the show is that DVF is searching for a young person to be an ambassador for her brand. She has 10 candidates and will eliminate one each week.

DVF is a fashion designer with an iconic brand, owning a large corporation set in the cut throat fashion industry in NYC. And she puts demands on her candidates that ruffle their feathers, but are nothing other than be respectful and follow the rules of the social etiquette and DVF.




I love it. It's what I felt was critically important as a teacher. Respect me, respect others. There are rules to be followed. You don't get to have your way just because you don't like the rule.

These candidates rebel and show such disrespect. DVF and her colleagues come down hard.

It's so great to see the sense of entitlement crushed. These girls don't think about the consequences of their behavior. They don't seem to understand if they work for this company they must REPRESENT this company. They will be the brand.

It just doesn't compute. And it's enjoyable to watch the girls get their come-up-ance. It is their reality check and hopefully a lesson for the rest of life. Just because they won the chance to be on tv, they act as if they deserve the right. Whatever happened to gratitude for an opportunity? I can't believe I love to watch them get put down, but isn't that how we feel when someone acts with arrogance? Someone has to be real with them. Show them the parameters and how to stay within the confines.

It truly is an interesting study of the current youthful condition. This is not a generalization, these girls could certainly be an exception, but I hear so frequently about students/youth who are victims. Everyone else is to blame. DVF doesn't let that stand. She instructs the girls to take ownership and not blame others.

Just watch a couple of episodes. It's worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment