I am a fairly organized person. Some things I let slack, but overall I manage to keep most accounts, emails, etc rather current.
When my mother passed away, then my sister in law and we found out how much we had to deal with in locating accounts, finding passwords, etc. I decided I should try to get organized for myself, my husband and my children.
So annually, on my birthday, I update our accounts. Making sure all numbers are accurate. We still have the same policies, etc. I think it is only the right thing to do.
One year I made a list of all my online accounts and passwords.
It was THREE pages long.
Now, mind you, these were not all financial or anything important accounts, but places I had shopped and created an account. Initially when I shopped online I always created an account because I was too stupid to figure out I didn't have to. Now for several shops you can check out as a guest. I try to do that whenever it is offered.
Recently I decided to go online with every account and check to make sure I had the correct password and user name.
Do you know how long this has taken me?????? Oh M Gee.
Some of the accounts I haven't used in YEARS and rarely recognize the address. Some user names and passwords have gone unrecognizable, which was good to know and fun to cross off. But how do you remove your account if you no longer want one? I've perused the site and there is no where to "un-account" yourself. Sure if you subscribe to an email list you can unsubscribe, but this is different.
I did email one company and asked to be removed, just out of curiosity as to what will happen. I have yet to receive a response.
And then I'm so leery. Even if they do say, sure we've removed you. How do I know they don't keep me in their database FOREVER?
Now I'm thinking I need to organize my password list in two columns. One would be titled, Useful. The other, Totally Unnecessary.
I hope my family appreciates my efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment