Thursday, May 5, 2016

Barn Swallows

Can't say I've ever paid much attention to this bird.

I'd heard of it. That's the extent.

The other evening we were taking a walk and we heard these birds. At first it didn't raise awareness, but then the noise kept up and we started looking for this flock.

We saw nothing and my husband said it was a recording.

I thought it so strange.

Then today I got this email from our apartment management -

1. Barn Swallows are federally protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. The State of Colorado (and many others) has laws protecting active Barn Swallow nests. We must be very thoughtful about not harming the birds and we are prohibited from knocking down nests after eggs have been laid and / or an adult bird is sitting in / on the nest. 

2. Bird slides are installed throughout Terracina. The slides are a preventative measure that make it difficult for the Swallows to build their nests.  

3. Bird call boxes will be used throughout the property as needed to assist with deterrence.

4. We have contracted with Critter Control to remove as many nests as possible before eggs are laid. When the time comes, ladders will be used to allow service technicians to reach the nests and scrape them off of the buildings. This work will be completed as needed.  

5. The amount of nesting and swallow activity varies throughout the community. We encourage you to cover your patio furniture to prevent unwelcome bird droppings. Please contact us if your patio is heavily soiled and needs cleaning. We will work with you to arrange an appointment to clean your patio / balcony. Please note that appointment times are very limited and will be set on a first come, first serve basis. The exterior of resident windows will be cleaned this Fall after the birds have migrated.

So, what we heard were call boxes.

Every area has its own uniqueness. I'm on a journey to discover what is distinctive to Colorado.

And I still haven't seen a Swallow....

No comments:

Post a Comment