Sunday, October 23, 2016

Happy 90th

Today my dad turns 90 years old.


And while we will be celebrating this wonderful milestone with him today; it is with mixed emotions.

My dad has made it to 90. It is something to celebrate. His dad died at the age of 93 and my dad always said he thought he would live as long as his father.

Is it wrong for me to say I hope that does not come true?

My dad's mind is excellent. Almost as sharp as any 60, 70, 80 year old. 

But his body has collapsed. His knees (artificial) hurt (arthritis) his stomach (ulcers) gives him fits. He's unbalanced, he's unstable, he mostly sits in his lift chair and is wheeled to meals.

He did not ever want to exercise. He did not realize how his muscles would atrophy.

It is so sad to see his physical condition because his mental condition is so good. 

For the most part he is of good humor, but just recently he had to move to an area of more care (nursing home type of situation) and this depresses him. Not that he was mobile before but he knows of his decline.

And as his child I want only what is best for him and is living like this, slowly dying, the best?

There is no solution. There is no ideal. Death is a loss at any time, at any age. However my father has had a good life. One he enjoyed very much. He has so many memories to reflect upon. 

I just don't want these last few months to taint his humor and outlook.

I pray for him to go ever so quietly in the night.

Happy Birthday Dad. I'm glad you have made it so close to your goal.

(More photos on his party later....)

No comments:

Post a Comment