Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Just a few minutes

of conversation is all it takes to make someone's day.

Today I was walking through Dillards at the local mall to get to my car and for some reason this woman who was standing and looking at a selection of slacks turned to look at me.

Our eyes connected and she started the conversation by asking about the pants. They were yoga like pants and she was questioning how to wear them.

I had yoga pants on myself and I told her I loved them.

Then she lamented that maybe at her age (she was probably 75+) maybe she shouldn't wear them.

And I responded, "Why not? Who cares? We have earned the right to do whatever we want."

She smiled and said, "Yes, I agree. I'm not taking it any more. If I can't speak up now at my age, when can I?"

And so we bonded.

For about five minutes.

And when I left she told me I was sweet, I told her to go for it and we both smiled.

I think that a conversation may have been the highlight of both our days.

It was five minutes. It didn't hurt or harm anyone. It was supportive. It was uplifting.

It was important.

We should all have at least one such conversation as this a day.

Maybe we could turn things around in this highly diverse and divisive country we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment