Thursday, December 8, 2016

Oh Boy

The stories I have collected from hanging out in Assisted Living for a few days.

The fun never ends.

It's very sad to be with these people who know this is "the last stop" as my dad says and it is also quite charming to hear their stories.

One lady, who was a nurse, was telling me about the privacy issues the residence must obey. She understood the need, but was dismayed at the lack of communication.

Her neighbor was gone and she inquired about her. The staff would only comment, "She is gone."

So she said, "Is she gone, like dead? or is she gone for the day or is she gone for a while?"

It was both funny and tragically sad.

These people know very clearly each day can be their last. We all should know this, but yet we live in denial. They don't.

One day my dad's hearing aid was not working properly and a gentleman at his table wanted to loan him a battery. He even took out his own hearing aid to show me the battery to see if they would work.

It's all so endearing how they understand each other's dilemma and how they want to help, but yet are really helpless.

I am very thankful to be who I am and how I feel today.

No comments:

Post a Comment