was speaking to me on my trip to California.
Because I purchased my ticket late on Southwest I knew I was going to get a middle seat. So when I stepped inside the plane there was a middle seat available in the second row and I sat down. A young girl with lots of cleavage was in the aisle seat and a gentleman about my age was by the window.
Both said hello and seemed polite. I had chosen a pleasant trip position.
Then as the rest of the passengers boarded this gentleman to my right started some small talk. Then it turned to more talk and finally to entire talking the entire trip. He was delightful. We had so much in common.
His wife was a recently retired elementary music teacher. That led to a great deal of discussion on education. One of my favorite topics.
We soon discovered that we lived in neighboring cities. Actually a shock that I KNEW his city!
Then we discussed our children. He had two, boy and girl, but about ten years younger than mine. He was coming to LA to see his son who was a male model. His journey to modeling was fascinating. The stereotypical storybook of discovery.
He and his dad were walking the streets of New York and a guy stops them and says the young man could be a male model. The guy was a photographer, had no monetary designs on the young man, but had agency connections. They pursued modeling for three years in Colorado and the agent finally said, if you really want to pursue this you need to go to LA. So he's been in LA for three years and is finally making a living at modeling. He was one of the male models on People's Choice. The gentleman had a photo of his son with Ellen DeGeneres.
So we shared 'son' stories of life and work in LA. And our appreciation for our life as it stands right at this very moment. We both felt so blessed.
We talked as if we had known each other for years. It was very existential. When we departed the plane we said our goodbyes, but then met up again at baggage and he asked if it would be too weird to exchange numbers as he thought maybe the four of us could meet for coffee.
I did. I don't usually do things like this, but it just felt right. I shall keep you posted about this encounter....
Then I texted for my Uber ride. I love my Uber rides. And this one was no exception. I'll post that story tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment