Since our move I've learned a lot of things about many things.
1) It is not scary to move. It could be, but it's only what you make it. It is actually good for you to move. It opens your mind to new situations. You must learn new ways. You work your memory. It's all good.
2) People are people are people. Sure you have friends in the town you live in, but when you move you make MORE friends. You don't lose the old friends, you just add friends. Your circle widens.
3) It's challenging to view the grass from the other side. Every area has its pluses and minuses. You may be exchanging one for the other when you move and in the end it all equalizes, but you don't know that until you move.
4) If you come from a small town, like I did, you know numerous individuals and you run into them daily. And you chat and you feel good about the fact that someone knew you and it maybe drew you closer into your community. But when you live in a larger community and are new to the area you may never run into someone, but still you can have a pleasant conversation with a check out girl or a receptionist and they all treat you as if you had always been a part of the community. You still feel united. It's the feeling of community, just from a different perspective.
5) And if you pay attention and are a little assertive you can find your niche. If you are lonely, it's probably your fault. You have to take initiative and be assertive but people are people and some will wrap their arms around you and welcome you and others will shirk you off. You just have to recognize the difference.
I could go on and on, but I won't. This move has taught me so many things. I got complacent. I got comfortable. I worried a move would be too stressful. And it was stressful in so many ways, but that was fear and the unknown talking. When you leave what you know to go to what is unknown you are hesitant. It's only human nature.
Last night I was with some people and one woman commented she couldn't understand how someone could live in the same area for all their life. "That is just so foreign to me." I didn't comment. I wouldn't have known what to say. Why did I stay in the same place so long? A pension? Security? Fear? Complacency? I am in awe of all these individuals who have lived all over the country. Some were military brats and it was the only world they knew. Others traveled with jobs. And I was the opposite, nestled in the area I knew.
But no matter our differences we have a bond now. This community. This life.
And a purpose to live our best life each and every day. No matter where we call home.
No comments:
Post a Comment