Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Two Different Emotions Today

My granddaughter A is Star Student of the Week this week. She is so excited. Over the weekend she asked me if on not Monday or Tuesday, but Wednesday would I eat lunch with her. Her parents were coming on the other days.

Nothing would thrill me more.

So today I went to lunch. I just had the best time observing the students walk ever so quietly to the lunchroom. Then the cold lunch kids just walk to open tables and take a seat. They may sit with any other kindergartener. There was no running, no rushing. It was so mannerly.

Then I went to the playground. She asked me to play, but really didn't mean that literally. She just wanted me to watch and that's exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to be the teacher observing behaviors. She had friends, she was engaging, and I felt such joy at her typical kindergarten behavior.

So that was the best part of my day.

And the opposite is the LA fires. You know how you see the catastrophes on tv and you feel sadness, but you are not so emotionally engaged because it really doesn't affect you.

Not so true this time. Our son lives near the 405, UCLA and The Getty. He is west of all that but a few blocks away from his house, at the entrance to his neighborhood, were firemen stationed. The Mayor encouraged evacuation. Our granddaughter's school is cancelled until Monday.

This was way too close.

Currently he is safe with his family in a hotel, waiting to discover what tomorrow brings. The winds are to pick up tonight and if some ash flies just in the wrong direction, well, his neighborhood could be in trouble.

So say a little prayer for the winds to die down, the rescue personnel to do their job and people's lives and homes to be saved.

1 comment: