I need a little levity in my life. Some silly Hallmark movies or chick lit. I've been reading some rather emotional stuff lately.
I recently finished Beartown by Fredrik Backman for our February Book Club. It was really good, but sad. It moved quickly and I really enjoyed the author's style, but I just knew the characters were going to have a hard time emotionally. Not a feel good book.
Then my neighbor gave me a YA book to read that her daughter, a librarian, recommended. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Again, not a feel good book, but riveting. When I looked it up online I discovered Hollywood is currently making it into a movie.
Then today I went to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri. I knew it was a dark comedy, but I guess I should be better about doing my homework and reading reviews. It was dark alright, violence and a depressing story line. There certainly were comedic lines, but the darkness overshadowed the comedy. That being said, it was very well acted and filmed. I loved all of that. I loved the crusty characters and their dialogue. But I have to admit I was emotionally drained by the end. As my husband would say, "And that is entertainment?"
He didn't go with me, not his kind of movie. I went alone and sat down next to a lady doing the same. We had a great conversation both before and after. And we both felt drained. I almost asked her to go to coffee (er, wine) with me to debrief.
I do believe it is very important to expose ourselves to another's view, a world we may not know as it can only create an awareness to then create more understanding. However I feel I may for the last few weeks have exposed myself too much.
I need a little Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello and Beach Blanket Bingo.
Ah, the good old days.
No comments:
Post a Comment