As I got through TSA at LAX I stopped at a bench to put my things in order and a gentleman sitting on the bench near me, said something and then commented, "Well, we should all get to know each other because this is like a community dressing room."
I laughed and then it was the beginning of a short conversation to our gates.
He was a former Marine and worked in the security business for a while. Because we had been talking about TSA he shared this information and the fact that he felt TSA were not really trained well. He said when you carry a gun you have to practice every other day. I commented about teachers carrying guns and he laughed. He said students will be killed and not because any teacher intends to shoot them, but just due to lack of training.
I shared my reasoning for teacher not having guns.
Then he told me his oldest daughter is an elementary teacher in Virginia and she loves her job, but he had to admit he was disappointed when she told him. He felt that anyone with a college education should be making six figures.
I laughed. Of course I agreed, but I was like, get with the REAL world, man. I NEVER made six figures. (He appeared to be a very wealthy individual. Not sure he could relate.)
It was such an interesting conversation. He shook my hand, gave his name and told me a lot. He smokes weed, doesn't do cigarettes. Loves bourbon and a friend goes to Cuba a lot so he gets Cuban cigars and his friends love to sit around the fire pit smoking and drinking. He hopes to retire to San Diego. He drinks green tea, his wife has to have a cup of coffee every morning.
What did I say to bring all that information out? Or is he just a braggart? He certainly was very outgoing. I had the feeling he might be a very powerful man, or so he thinks anyway.
But the entire conversation made me smile. Here's this man who lives a totally different life than I have as an elementary teacher from a small town in Iowa. I'm not saying what he does is more important, because as we are seeing nationally teachers are saving lives,, but it's fun to take a peek at the other side.
On my way to LA I sat by a couple from Michigan. Both retired teachers. If any observer would have made an assumption, it would have been that we were traveling together. We had so much in common. A totally different experience from the former Marine.
I just love my airport encounters.
No comments:
Post a Comment