Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good Old Days

Monday after school I went to Jefferson to Robin's retirement reception. I was there for two hours just chatting with staff I had worked with, former students, former parents' of students. Oh, it was a grand old time. Here's a photo of our original gang (all are retired except for...you got it...ME!)



During the span of time from 1989 to 1994 we had Dave as our principal and he gave us such free reign to follow our professional paths with students, curriculum and each other. We were MAVERICKS! We were far ahead of our time as far as the other schools in our district. It was and still is the greatest professional experience I've ever had.

And though we were small as a staff, we were mighty, and good friends. We got together Monday and it was as if we had never left. You know how it is with friends like that. We knew so much about each other. We trusted each other and Dave lead us with professional trust. Never, have I had that since.

It could make me sad, but you can't long for what is no more. I can only appreciate that I was so fortunate to have been part of such a life altering experience.

Then because practical jokes were so much a part of our lives at Jefferson. I had to take something to Robin. So I remembered how she had given me a MS. Jefferson 1992 banner. (The reason: someone in one of my Masters' classes relayed the tale of my saying I wanted to be in a beauty contest when I grew up...)

So I took Robin a banner saying Ms. Jefferson No more 2009. The funniest part is that she did not want to open the package. She was afraid it was a bra that had circulated in our parties for years!



Ah, memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment